Summer Camp 2013
ROOF is now recruiting volunteers for the Belskoye-Ustye 2013 Summer Camp!
We are now looking for volunteers interested in spending a few weeks in the Pskov Region of Western Russia working with the children of Belskoye-Ustye Psycho-Neurological Orphanage during the month of July 2013.
If, after reading the description below, you think this might be for you, please fill out our online application form. We hope to be able to finalize selection before the end of March 2013.
The intensity of the volunteer experience should not be underestimated. It includes:
- Working in a small, cross-cultural team of 2-4 volunteers. There are about 100 children at the Belskoye-Ustye Orphanage, which means that we need about 10 volunteer teams for the summer camp. Once the team is established, we hope there will be a little time to get to know each other at least 'virtually' (e.g. our facebook groups) before the camp begins in July.
- Each volunteer team is assigned to a group of about 10 orphanage children. For the duration of July you'll see a lot of your group, meeting for several hours twice a day for games and activities.
- The whole group comes together for big events like sports day, the annual dance party, the crafts fair, treasure hunts, hiking/orienteering expeditions, pilgrimages to local points of interest, etc.
- Our volunteers also have planning meetings each evening to prepare materials, costumes, and any necessary props for the next day's activities.
- For the duration of the summer camp volunteers live together in a large house in the hamlet of Baranovo, about a kilometer from the orphanage.
Many of our volunteers come back for several years running and form lasting friendships.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR VOLUNTEERS and FAQ:
Who can volunteer?
Our volunteers are usually of student age, although we can accept volunteers of any age 18+. In addition to general volunteers, we are also particularly looking for people who are experienced professionals working with children with special needs, especially with regard to psychological detachment and abandonment issues (child psychologists, etc.) and physiotherapists.
What are the dates of the summer camp?
The camp will run for more-or-less the whole month of July. Exact dates will be confirmed closer to the time.
What about visa support?
ROOF can arrange visa support for you if you are coming to our summer camp from abroad.
Is Russian language a requirement?
No. It's not a requirement, but it's a big bonus. In selecting volunteers we look much more at personal qualities than at language ability. Having said that, for practical reasons there is a limit to the number of non-Russian speaking volunteers we can accept each year.
What costs will I have to bear?
You should assume that as a volunteer you will be responsible for Russian visa expenses and for the expense of getting yourself to Moscow at the end of June in preparation for the beginning of the camp. For volumteers who are coming for the whole duration of the camp, ROOF covers all expenses for travel to and from the summer camp from Moscow and all your living expenses for the time you spend at the summer camp.
What if it is impossible for me to stay for the whole month?
Although we encourage volunteers to come for the entire period of the summer camp, we may be able to accommodate volunteers who wish to stay for two or three weeks (rather than the full month) in special cases.